The town officially established its first public library in October 1896, then housed in the back rooms of the old town hall. Upon his death in 1936, long time resident Charles Watson Hodge bequeathed $15,000 to build a library and museum and $15,000 to set-up an endowment fund. The stone structure was completed in 1937 by Clayton B. Squire and named after Charles Hodge’s father, Albert Lafayette Hodge. Mr. Hodge’s will also stipulated that the library include a museum room to house artifacts from the Hodge family and the Roxbury community. The north wing addition was completed in 1967 thanks to a generous donation by Everett Hurlburt. After outgrowing this 1,941 square foot structure the town embarked on a major fundraising campaign to construct the 7,500 square foot Minor Memorial Library, which opened in 1994.
After outgrowing the 50 year old Hodge Memorial Library on North Street a very generous donation of 3.45 acres of land on South Street was given by Mabel and Sandford Sturdevant Smith in 1988. The acreage was given in memory of Rachel Minor Bernhardt and Rulley McKinstry Bernhardt, Mabel B. Smith’s parents. The library was named in honor of Mrs. Smith’s mother who was a descendant of Captain John Minor, who explored Roxbury in 1673. Construction of the Minor Memorial Library was completed in 1994 providing the residents of Roxbury with a library 3 times the size of the Hodge Memorial Library. The building designed by Noyes-Vogt Architects is 7500 square feet with shelving space for 40,000 items. In 1998 the Minor Memorial Library was selected by the Association of Connecticut Library Boards to receive the “Award for Excellence in Small Libraries.”
The objectives of the Minor Memorial and Hodge Memorial Library and Museum are to promote and encourage and to serve the needs of the Roxbury Community by providing free access to ideas and information through a diversity of library materials, programs, services, and experiences.
Teresa Roxburgh – Director
Silky Berger – Technical Services Coordinator
Sarah Griswold – Adult Program Coordinator
Paula Lazeski – Community Gallery Curator
Roxane Lee – Staff
Muffy Munson – Staff
Paula Sapse – Children’s Services Coordinator
Betty Synnestvedt – Adult Services Coordinator
Joan Temple – Librarian
Peter Titchener – Staff
Brooke Wheeler – Bookkeeper
Wireless Internet Access
PC with MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Publisher
Public Internet workstations
From Waterbury and Points East
Interstate 84W to Exit 15, Routes 67 & 6 in Southbury. Follow signs for Route 67N. After making the left turn from Routes 67 & 6 to Route 67N, continue for about 7 miles to a stop sign past the Roxbury Garage. Turn left at the stop sign and continue straight; DO NOT FOLLOW SIGNS FOR 67. At the first stop sign, bear left on South Street. The library is about 1/4 mile on the right, just past the Booth Free School.
From Danbury and Points Southwest
Interstate 84E to Exit 14, Route 172. Follow Route 172 through South Britain until the intersection of Route 67. Go left on Route 67N and continue for about 7 miles to a stop sign past the Roxbury Garage. Turn left at the stop sign and continue straight; DO NOT FOLLOW SIGNS FOR 67. At the first stop sign, bear left on South Street. The library is about 1/4 mile on the right, just past the Booth Free School.
From Litchfield and Points Northeast
Route 202 south/west to intersection with Route 47. Turn left on Route 47 and follow to junction with Route 199 south. Follow 199 to end and go left at stop sign. Bear right at monument and go straight, slightly left, at stop sign on to South Street. The library is about 1/4 mile on the right, just past the Booth Free School.
From Sharon and Points Northwest
From Route 7, follow Route 45 South until the intersection with Route 202. Follow Route 202 north/east to intersection with Route 47. Turn right on Route 47 and follow to junction with Route 199 south. Follow 199 to end and go left stop sign. Bear right at monument and go straight, slightly left, at stop sign on to South Street. The library is about 1/4 mile on the right, just past the Booth Free School.
Membership to the Library Board is by Town election. The Board consists of nine members, and elections are held every other year. Board members are elected to a term of six years and three members are elected at a time.
The current Board members are:
Cynthia Newby, Chair
Pamela Southworth, Treasurer
Mary Schinke, Corresponding Secretary